What is a good vocal warm-up?
Sandra can fully explain, demonstrate and instruct your singers in how to improve the two key points of breathing and placement and help devise a warm-up that will support the learning of the techniques. It is worth building this into every warm-up.
Building an effective warm-up
A good warm-up routine can:-
- Prepare and guide your singers from their work day mind into a creative singing frame
- Greatly enhance your productivity in rehearsal by preparing the singers for the techniques needed in the song
- Deepen vocal and breathing skills for your chorus so that the overall standard of your choir rises
- Create a cohesive group ready to concentrate and work well together.
Sandra can devise a solid warm-up for your choir incorporating:-
- Physical exercises – strengthening posture and presentation
- Breathing techniques – diaphragmatic exercises and breath support and flow
- Vocal techniques that can support and develop your singers.
- Exercises to work with tuning, blend, vocal energy.
Understanding WHY we do the exercises
How many times are you using an exercise with the chorus but have forgotten why you use it or unclear how to improve it?
Sandra will clearly explain the focus and function of each exercise and you will feel confident to use the exercises with your choir or chorus, as you will understand the purpose of the exercises and what results to expect.
Most amateur choirs need to keep their skills practiced in each session. If certain exercises or skills aren’t used for a while, expect to remind your singers! The more you repeat it, the more it will go in. Building these skills into every rehearsal via your warm-up routine will instill good practice into your singers and help them create the warm vibrant sound that you want to hear.
If needed, Sandra’s choir coaching can also help with your overall rehearsal structure and strategy. Each group or choir is likely to have different coaching needs, as well as different time-scales and resources available – therefore talk to Sandra about what you need.
Sandra has completed the LABBS Judges foundation course and regularly attends Barbershop training days. She is also a member of Sing A cappella and The Natural Practitioners Network
Sandra is always available for choir coaching. (She loves it!) She can run evening sessions, longer 5/6 week courses and all day sessions for your choir.
Check out the singing workshops page too, for classes you can go to as an individual.